Friday 23 August 2013

Design decisions in D&T: asking 'Why?'


I'm reading a book by Warren Berger, CAD Monkeys, Dinosaur Babies andT-Shaped People, in preparation for the new term. Its a rich resource for D&T teachers but I'm going to focus on the questions we ask children when designing. As part of my MA I looked at questions in D&T and how they facilitate creativity. What came out of this research was that secondary D&T teachers tend to ask closed questions with a pre-determined answer.
In both the 2007 National Curriculum and the new version for 2014 D&T is defined, in part, as enabling pupils to be creative, take risks and solve real problems. One way of facilitating this is through the use of Why questions. This is a question 'favoured by inquisitive kids everywhere' (Berger p.25) but how can that be done in practice?
In D&T lessons in schools tend to play it safe, so that children have a successful completed product at the end of the project. This is a valid and commendable argument but I think it limits the design thinking which we say is a D&T strength.
If I think about how I might frame a design situation, I can either present the information and brief or through Why questions I can ask the class to explore a situation; I think this brings the situation more alive, making it real. At NTU I use the IDEO cards to encourage this design thinking, one of the hardest is the 'Five Whys' but its worth persevering with as you can really begin to understand what is at the heart of a design situation. 
To test out my argument I tried to write some why questions for a common design project I see in schools: the pencil case.
Q: Why do I need a pencil case?
A: To keep them neat and tidy in my bag and at home
Q: Why do I need to keep them tidy in my bag and at home?
A: Because the leak in my bag and my mum says I need to be tidy
Q: Why do you have a leaky pen?A: Because the lid comes off
 
Solution: redesign the pen! Much more interesting than a pencil case 
or: 
Q: Why do you need to be tidy?A: To help me be organisedQ: Why do you need to be organised?A: So I can find things 
Solution: explore what gets lost!
I'm not making any great claim about the quality of my questions. I think they are quite limited and false for two reasons:
  1. I'm out of practice at asking why questions
  2. The starting point of a pencil case as a design situation is false. In my opinion the pupils are making a pencil case not designing a pencil case. Think about it - what design decisions are the children making? Maybe the colour and decoration but unlikely to be the method of carrying, storing, opening, size, material or even who its for.
My questions begin to reframe the situation: its about being organised, keeping other people happy (Mum) and a poorly designed pen. With careful question and lesson planning children can be given more chance to make design decisions.



Listen to your questions:
  • Do you know the answer you want already?
  • Do you ask all of the questions?
  • Do they lead to discussion?
  • How many of them start with 'Why?'

No comments:

Post a Comment